This weekend, as I washed and dried all the bottles under the sun I decided to do some dal-sorting. Most of the dals were beyond their expiriy date. Some jars even had a small, yet, thriving eco-system in them.
Idea! I had 3 pretty-OK shaped bottles. Few nice looking but not edible dal packets. And some time to spare.
So came up with these for my kitchen window sil :-D
Felt they looked nice!
Want to try? Its too simple to be explained in steps. So here goes some tips:
- Ensure that the jars are perfectly dry before you begin this!
- Take care to use a funnel to put the dal through narrow-mouthed bottles.
- Masoor dal gives a vibrant look to it. Use it in plenty.
- I used an old packet of rock salt for the white portion. Salt/Sugar can also be used.
- I even stuffed a few dried-red-chilles near the top of the bottle.
- You can add ANY stuff from your kitchen here. Don't stop at dals. I have added even a saunf layer!
- And yes, you might have to sacrifice some of the good green-gram and other dals which you use frequently. Don't depend ONLY on the stuffs which have outlived their expiry dates!
That is it, I guess :-D
My attempt doesn't look all that neat. But I got so excited with the idea that I had to-had to-had to blog it :-p